Jan 25, 2012

motor runnin!!

  After much time and money i finally managed to get the 454 for project sleeper stang running. It started up pretty quick on the stand and with the help of a young gearhead named Brock I broke in the cam and set the timing. We ran it through a set of used mufflers then when it was all finished we cut them off to hear it roar through the open headers. There is nothing like the smell of baking high temp paint and exhaust fumes from a fresh engine! I also picked up a good used turbo 350 tranny with a 2800 stall convertor a while back and i took it in to my favorite local tranny shop to get a hardened roller clutch race put in it and the pump freshened up. Now the engine and tranny are basically ready to go into the car. It will be interesting to see how much power a big cam, too big headers, single plane intake with good heads will make with 8-1 compression. Feel free to let me know what i'm doing wrong! I 've nearly got as much money into these 781 heads as a set of aftermarket aluminum would have cost me. The main reason was going to the bigger valves with the 11/32 stems caused alot more machine work to be necessary. I've probably got $1500 into the heads!! So much for a budget buildup!
  I also took the time this week to go on a northern Saskatchewan ice fishing trip. I highly recomend Silence of the North lodge for their great fishing and great hospitality. We stayed two nights and had great fishing for walleye and lake trout. We spent two hours opening up a snowmobile trail through the thick bush to get into paranteau lake to catch lake trout so now is the time to go since the trail is clear. One downside of the trip was that i lost a piston in my snowmobile about 9 km from the lodge and had to tow back. Snowmobile's are even less reliable than my hotrods and thats pretty bad!
  Also glad to report that Christmas and new years holidays were great for me and i was able to spend lots of time with family. Hunting coyotes is allways a big deal at our house and we managed to nail a few over the holidays. Every one was skinned and sold, none wasted.  Fishing and hunting are great activities to do as a family and much like hotrodding and working on cars it is great bonding time for fathers and sons. What are your best memories of times with your father? Some guys sadly have very few good memories of their fathers. Don't let that happen to your children! Thats all for today, feel free to respond using the little white envelopes at the bottom of this post.

1 comment:

  1. Your 454 should push the Stang along pretty good. I used a 454 with factory flat top pistons ,781 heads shaved 30 with steel shim gaskets, a wolverine hyd.cam 501 lift, factory holley intake with a 650 spread bore and ran 12.9 in a 1975 nova. Had 2800 stall converter and 342 posi 10 bolt. DO NOT go to much gear ! these motors like to PUSH. I tried going to 410's and didnt go any faster through the 1/4. I tried 3 different cams as well, "all bigger" than the first, and NOTHING. No faster. Sounds like you got alot of head work done, so more cam may work for you. Should run 12.5 for sure and be able to do it all day long. I found that reving it anything past 5000 rpm wasnt benificial. It ran the same time shifted at 6200 as it did at 5000 rpm. I'm sure it will be just fine for you,..your flying hard already with your malibu.I feel youll be just as succesful with this build.

    ReplyDelete

This is what readers have to say: