Nov 26, 2015

Auto possession (AP)

Do you believe in demon possession? An evil spirit moves in to a person's body and controls them? As a Christian who reads the Bible I believe it is real and does happen but I'm not sure that I've ever seen it. What I want to talk about today is something that I have seen and is quite disturbing. I'll call it auto possession (AP).
    There is something about old cars that I can't quite understand. Somehow they command a weird power over some people. To start this discussion I must first confess that I am in the auto parts business. I travel around within a hundred miles or so of my home and buy old junk vehicles, drag them home, and part them out. Every last nut and bolt is for sale. This is part of how I earn my living and put food on the table. I encounter alot of folks infected with AP. It's quite easy to spot, maybe you have it? I put up ads on local bulletin boards asking to buy old junkers and I see yards full of them all over the place yet I get very few calls. Why wouldn't they want rid of them? I pay cash on the spot and more than scrap value.
   The symptoms of AP are easy to spot: A man with one foot in the grave says he won't sell because he is thinking of restoring the car one day, never mind that the car is so rusty there is nothing left to restore. Another tell tale symptom is the disproportionate value AP victims have on the things they own. You could offer to buy his wife's wedding ring off her finger and he would consider selling it but if you made an offer on the bullet holed 62 Pontiac 4 door in the bush with a tree growing through it he would chase you off the farm. Also viscous dogs are a sure sign. This guy is guarding his hoard of junk from other AP victims who may try to steal from him. I stay a long way from those places. Likely spot to get shot through the front door while knocking if the German Shepard doesn't get you first. Is that a human femur in its mouth?
   I often wonder what happens to these hoards of junk when the owner dies? These guys usually seem to have no heirs. Likely the local Rural Municipality brings in a track hoe and drags them all into a pile, crushes them with the bucket, and tosses them on a semi-trailer headed for the smelter. If only the owner would have sold them first he could have afforded a nice vacation or to fix up his falling down house. I wonder if some type of recovery group could be formed to help these guys? Could more than one of them be in the same room without a fight? Or would they have some deep respect and sympathy for fellow victims? How would the auto's be exorcised? Tough questions to be sure.
   This all leads me to my current thoughts on being mastered by possessions or sins from the book of 1 Corinthians 6. When we are mastered by something we become a slave to it. Slaves are things that are owned. Do you want to be owned? Or do you think you are free?  Jesus talked about freedom. He said that if the Son sets you free then you will be free indeed. He also said that the truth will set you free, and he said "I am the way, the truth and the life. Pretty big claims. Check it out for yourself, perhaps you aren't a victim of auto possession but other addictions have beset you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is what readers have to say: