Feb 5, 2014

its got a thousand horsepower man

  I've noticed in the last couple years that dual purpose street machines are leaning more and more towards single purpose drag cars. The line is getting harder to define for street or race car. Any car that can be driven down the street is called a street car. Even if it gets 3 mpg on race fuel, breathes through 4 inch exhaust and has 14 x 32 slicks. This is all fine by me and makes me want to step up my program. It seems as though a thousand horsepower is the new benchmark and showing up at the local street races with anything less is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Of course by "street races" I mean a top ten list shootout that will become a TV show and have its own website! I have real street race footage on video but posting it online seems like a good way to get sent to jail. I'm not quite sure how that works? Maybe if i blur out the faces, liscence plates and bleep out all the talking along with the scenery that shows the locations? Might not be to enjoyable to watch then.
  So 1000 ponies is what i wanna talk about. Its definitly attainable but whats the best way to do it? If you know me and have read my past postings you'll know that i like big motors. If you start with a big motor over 500 cubic inches then making 600 hp is easy. Preferably more. Then use nitrous to top off your 1000 hp goal. This is all simple but here is the kicker, how are you gonna stick that on the street? A 500 hp car that hooks will leave a 1000 hp car in the tire smoke and there is no catching up when 2 or 3 seconds are spent blazing tires.
  Also if you've been following along you will have read and seen pictures of a project car called "The Ghetto Blaster". After taking a few months off, today is the day when i finally fire up that project again. Teaching young guys about hotrodding is a passion for me and it allows me to share my faith in God. Last year we got the car running and driving. God willing we will tune it this year and get it to the track. I'm very excited about seeing everyone one who took part in it go down the drag strip. I'm hoping for a high eleven at about 113 mph in the quarter. The car weighs 2910 without driver and some of the drivers are pretty light. We never tackled paint and body on the Ghetto Blaster so it still looks like a pile of junk hence the name. I'm not sure if or when paint and body will happen. I had dreamed that a journeyman body worker with a similar ministry would be interested in taking it on as a way to teach young men those skills and about God. Please contact me if you are that man. As far as what we still need to do to the car, It needs new wheels and tires for the back before it hits the track. I'm looking for a set of 15 x 8 weld draglites with around 4 inches of back spacing and a set of Mickey Thomson 28 x 9 slicks. I will likely purchase the tires new but if any readers have these wheels to sell please let me know. This whole ministry has taught me so much and built up my faith. My original goal of building a budget race car was based on what money i thought we could reasonably come up with. I was thinking in terms of what i could accomplish. God however had a much bigger and better plan. We likely have well over ten thousand dollars in this project and alot of high quality brand new parts. I'm so happy I didn't need to spend hours and hours searching for used parts and trying to scrape up money. God is good. If you are a believer please pray for me and the young guys involved in this ministry. If you are not a believer then believe me when i say that if you trust Jesus and turn your life over to him you will never be the same. You will have a purpose and joy in your life as you allow God to direct your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is what readers have to say: